The contest is open to students in grades one through twelve attending public, private, parochial, or being homeschooled. There is no geographic limitation for eligibility. This is also open to students under the age of twenty enrolled in a high school correspondence/GED program.
본 대회는 지역에 제한을 두지 않고 전 세계 1학년 부터 12학년까지의 학생들을 위해 개최됩니다. 또한 20세 이하의 고등학교 재학 중이거나 이에 준하는 과정에 참여하고 있는 학생들에게 참여의 기회가 열려 있습니다.
- Essays must be the original work of the student.
- Essay length and question will depend on grade level.
- G10-12: Essays can be no more than 1,000 words but must be a minimum of 700 words.
- G7-9: Essays can be no more than 750 words but must be a minimum of 500 words.
- G4-6: Essays can be no more than 400 words but must be a minimum of 200 words.
- G1-3: Essays can be no more than 200 words but must be a minimum of 50 words.
- If applicable, citations and bibliography are not included in the word count.
인용 자료에 관한 안내
- All participants G1-12 must cite sources if they use outside sources to support facts or arguments. Please use parenthetical citations within the text. We can not accept citations in footnote form. APA, MLA or Chicago styles are acceptable. Mixing styles is not acceptable.
- Essays that use outside sources must include a bibliography. Accepted formats include APA, MLA, or Chicago. Please refer to Guidelines for Citations and Bibliographies.
에세이에 참여하는 모든 학생은 외부자료를 언급할 경우 자료의 출처를 밝혀야합니다. 괄호 안에 자료의 출처를 기입해주시기 바랍니다.
- All students must complete and submit a registration form in the cover page for student and school information.
학생들은 에세이를 우편 혹은 이메일로 제출할 수 있습니다. 모든 학생들은 반드시 학생과 소속학교에 대한 정보가 기입된 커버페이지를 포함해야 합니다.
- All students must list the name of their nominating teacher on the registration form. The role of a nominating teacher is to provide students with support and advice during the writing of their essay. Nominating teachers are also asked to read students' essays to make suggestions for improvement before they are submitted to the essay contest. As part of this review process, the nominating teacher reviews the essay for syntax, grammatical, typographical and spelling errors and ensures the essay meets the contest requirements listed above.
- Nominating teachers can be former or current teachers. Usually students ask their English or History/Social Studies teachers. In very few cases, we will make an exception if a student is unable to ask a teacher from their high school to be their nominating teacher. A parent or legal guardian responsible for the instruction of home schooled students can also serve as a nominating teacher.